Address and Contact Info
Address: 347 Rock, Marquette MI 49855
Telephone & fax: (906) 227-9117
Principal contacts for the collection: Elizabeth Delene, email@example.com
Hours and Usage Restrictions
Open: By appointment only
(Generally M-F 8:30 – 4:00 p.m. Closed 12:00 – 1:00 )
Access: Some restrictions
Copying facilities: Yes
Mircofilm Reader: Yes – with Copier
Online Catalogs and Finding Aids
A description of the collection is at http://www.bishopbaraga.org/archives.htm
- The Upper Peninsula's mid-19th-century bishop, Frederic Baraga, moved the diocesean headquarters from Sault Ste. Marie to Marquette in 1864. Today the Bishop Baraga Association is working to canonize the celebrated "snowshoe priest" who came from Slovenia (the northernmost of the former Yugoslav states) to minister to native peoples on the northwoods frontier.
- Decades after Baraga's death, hundreds of thousands of Slovenes immigrated to the Great Lakes area and worked in mines and factories. In 1930 Slovenian-American Joseph Gregorich moved to Marquette from Oak Park, Illinois to advance Baraga's cause. His voluminous collections form the basis of the Baraga Archive, open to any researcher. To set up and appointment and learn about relevant materials to each research project, call or e-mail director Elizabeth Delene at (906) 227-9117 or firstname.lastname@example.org His letters (some 800 written by him, and 1,000 written to him) also convey a lot about Upper Peninsula life and connections with Catholic societies in Europe. Other holdings include fur company papers and Office of Indian Affairs records, plus the expected church and parish histories.
Suggestions for approaching the material:
Housing and getting by for less in the area: